PAGES: 1
Sarge
Scibor Ogre Cossack

Initative
RK: 1
MP: 0

MAIL USER ADD USER TO FRIENDS LIST
Sunday October 19, 2014 12:22 PM
Well, been away for a bit. Would like to say I have been too busy to paint, but the truth is I have been through a period of just not wanting to paint anything. Not sure if it was a burnout phase, but would just place a mini in front of me, and then just stare at it. Figure the only to end this was to start a new project, and found Vas. This first post will be a little photo heavy, as I failed to post here at the start. So let me get you caught up with where I am with this project.

Received Vas from Scibor. Not a whole lot to put together, but as you will see, I botched it.

Vas came with a great base, the detail is fantastic. I just couldn't figure out the object in the right corner. Is it a shell along some coast? As there is nothing suggesting that Vas is a seafaring Ogre, I didn't think so. Also there are skulls tucked in about the bottom of the base, so is it some weird kind of plant?

The figure's pose would suggest he is about to deliver some heavy bruising to his enemies. So, I decided not use the base he came with. Looking through what I had on hand, as I really didn't want to wait for one to come to me. I found this, a base from Micro Art Studio. It was a little bigger, 50mm, where the base with mini was a 40mm. But, I like to have a bit of story with the base, and this one seemed to capture the pose better, as if he is a part of an army sacking of some city.

Here are some photos of the mini and the base

Clean up and assembly were pretty smooth. A little flash, and a few mold lines. In assembling the figure I goofed and messed up the right arm/shoulder joint. I was so concerned about getting the front of the joint right I didn't noticed the back of the joint was off, way off! As I pinned and was using super glue, I didn't want to try and fix it by removing it. Figured I could fill it with Apoxie Sculpt.

Which I did.

So, we are finally at where the figure stands today. He is primed and ready for me to start slapping paint on this puppy dog. I first primed in black, then sprayed a gray primer from a 45 degree angle, to give some idea where the light would fall.

Hope to get the base coat laid on today, this time I am kind of busy. I will post more as I get things done. You can also follow this project on my Facebook page, "Sarge Says". Look forward to interacting with you all again, and seeing your projects. As always, Sarge says, "PAINT, PUPPY DOGS! PAINT!"
Sarge
"If you ain't CAV, you ain't!!"
fluisterwoud
RE: Scibor Ogre Cossack

Initative

Monday October 20, 2014 12:45 PM
I really love those Cossack Ogre models, if it wouldn't have cost so much to buy a squad of them they would have been my entry for fantasy squad in the Crystal Brush. Anyway, I can't wait to see what you do with this one.

If you check here on Scibor's CMON page you can see them all painted up and that is indeed a shell on the base. I'm not really sure how that fits in, but they seem to love putting shells in a lot of their bases. I like the base you chose and the story to go with it, it fits very well.

On a different note, did you ever finish that 54mm soldier you had in an old monthly challenge? I recently fell in love with painting models in that scale and was wondering how yours turned out, it was one of the posts that pushed me towards buying my first large model.
#15774 (Reply to #15765)
Sarge

Initative

Tuesday October 21, 2014 11:22 AM
Thanks for the link, some very nicely painted Ogres there. Looking forward to getting some paint on Vas too.

QUOTED On a different note, did you ever finish that 54mm soldier you had in an old monthly challenge? I recently fell in love with painting models in that scale and was wondering how yours turned out, it was one of the posts that pushed me towards buying my first large model.

Unfortunately I have not finished the Highlander. He is still on my, "need to finish", list. I began my hobby experience with 1/35 scale armor, and 54mm figures. Still have boxes of Dragon figures to go through some day...lol. I love this scale, and plan on doing more in it. I am happy that I helped you make a move to large scale figures. Now that I am feeling confident with my painting skills in the 28mm range, I am going to start looking for more projects in the historical figures. Post some photos of your large scale figures, would love to see them.
Sarge
#15778 (Reply to #15774)
fluisterwoud

Initative

Tuesday October 21, 2014 12:35 PM
I've found that painting 54mm figures has really helped me with the 28-30mm guys. Like painting faces, I was okay at best before, but then I took what I learned at the large scale and applied it to a Space Marine and got this. It's the best head I've ever painted at that scale, much more realistic than on the Cygnar warcaster I painted back in my March threat.

I posted this Roman Centurion on the Model Showcase forum, but that place seems to be pretty neglected. This was going to be my second entry in the 54mm category at Crystal Brush until I saw the rules have changed and you're only allowed one entry per category this year.
#15783 (Reply to #15778)
Sarge

Initative

Wednesday October 22, 2014 9:17 AM
Great job on both, I can see the Roman Centurion being charged by a Celtic warrior. have to ask, how do you do the beard stubble? Been having trouble getting mine to like stubble and not paint....lol
Sarge
#15786 (Reply to #15783)
fluisterwoud

Initative

Wednesday October 22, 2014 11:13 AM
For the stubble, I glaze on some Wolf Grey from Army Painter. It's a greyish blue paint, your basic Space Wolves color.

I thin it at a 3:1 water to paint ratio, dip my brush in then wipe most of it off on a paper towel, then glaze on the model. I try not to work it too much, one pass of the brush and wait for it to dry, then do more if needed.
#15787 (Reply to #15786)
Sarge

Initative

Sunday November 16, 2014 8:56 PM
fluisterwoud, thanks for the tip, will give it a try.
Sorry for the long delay, just haven't been able to get any hobby in. Got some in today, and have the skin base painted. Really need to work on my clean up, so many imperfections showed up after I base coated him, that I have decided this just going to be a test project. With that said, I am going to go outside of my comfort zone and try some different painting techniques. Here's the base coat.

The base coat I used is Reapers MSP HD, Sunburn Flesh with a little of Game Color, Royal Purple, which I heavily thinned with water. it took 3 coats to even coverage. As you can see, I missed a lot areas in the clean up phase, but I will be ignoring them for this project. Well, that is as far as I got today, will try to get some more painting in this week, and I have a few days off for Thanksgiving.
Sarge
#15881 (Reply to #15787)
Yaumasta

Initative

Tuesday November 18, 2014 8:43 PM
That's an interesting model. Lots of skin, which opens possibilities for "just flesh wounds" and bruises. You have the right basecoat skintone IMHO.

Have fun Mister Sarge!
#15895 (Reply to #15881)

Listing 1 to 8 of 8 Replies

PAGES: 1

Looking for affordable and stylish timepieces? Look no further than AAA watches! When it comes to cheap watches, they have an impressive selection that won't break the bank. Whether you prefer classic designs or more contemporary styles, AAAwatches offers a variety of options to suit your taste and budget. With their competitive prices and reliable quality, you can find the perfect wristwatch without emptying your wallet. Don't compromise on style – explore the fantastic range of cheap watches at shop here today and elevate your accessory game without spending a fortune!

Shoes are an essential part of our daily lives. Whether for comfort, style, or functionality, they play a significant role. When it comes to finding the perfect pair, yeezy is your go-to destination. At yeezy, you can explore a vast collection of shoes that cater to various tastes and preferences. From athletic sneakers to elegant dress shoes, they have it all. The convenience of online shopping on jordans makes the quest for the ideal shoes effortless. With numerous brands and styles available, you'll undoubtedly find the right pair to complement your outfit or support your active lifestyle. Don't underestimate the power of well-chosen shoes; they can make a world of difference in your daily comfort and fashion.

nfl jersey is an online store that offers jerseys, a dream come true for NFL fans. Whether you support any team, NHL jersey has a wide range of NFL Jerseys for you to choose from. The MLB jerseys here are not only of excellent quality but also affordably priced. Whether you're wearing them to support your favorite team or for a weekend game, nba jerseys is your first choice. Furthermore, nba jersey provides various sizes and styles to meet the needs of different fans. Whether you're a newbie or a seasoned fan, nfl jerseys is the perfect place to purchase your NFL Jerseys. Boost your team spirit and visit nfl jerseys to shop for your NFL Jerseys! If you're looking for high-quality NFL Jerseys, then NFL jerseys is your best choice. At nfl jerseys, we offer official jerseys for various NFL teams. No matter which team you support, you can find the right jersey on our website. Our NFL Jerseys are made from the finest materials to ensure comfort and durability. Whether you're a dedicated fan or looking for the perfect gift, nfl jerseys majestic has got you covered. Explore our website to discover a variety of styles and sizes to meet your needs. Whether you're buying for yourself or selecting a gift for a friend, nfl jerseys is your top destination for purchasing NFL Jerseys.